If you aren’t familiar with Walter Kitundu can read a bit about him and the MacArthur Genius Award he just received on SFGate and listen to an MOTW interview & performance with him performing along with Robin Sukhadia as Field.
Back in July 2004, I received a request to interview Field. The description peaked my curiousity. Tablas and phonoharp? I didn’t know what that was but I wanted to hear it. Robin Sukhadia and Walter Kitundu came in for live studio performance and interview at KPFA on July 13, 2004. Click here to listen to Field’s performance and interview. Check out the pics below to see the instruments Walter brought in to the studio.
I sound really silly and giddy during the interview with Field because it was just so cool and exciting to be there. The instruments Walter builds are just so fascinating and exciting to look at it brings out the little kid in you. The whole time I just wanted to jump up and down in giddy excitement. (Then the kindergartener in me wanted to push him aside screaming ‘my toy, my toy, i wanna play!’ Ok, that didn’t go through my head but the phonoharp is that cool it would be fought over in a group of big kids.)
Fortunately, I am not alone. I went to a performance this year. The room was a bit empty but as he played and people saw what he was playing, they came and stayed. When he stopped the kids of all ages immediately zoomed in on him and his instruments asking questions and wanting to touch his phonokora and phonoharp. The instruments incite excitement and curiosity – two very good things. Walter has a sweet quiet demeanor which changes when he talks about his instruments. He gets all crazy maniacal and foams at the mouth. Just kidding. He doesn’t do anything of the sort but does share some interesting thoughts about his instruments and music. You can check him out for yourself on Sparks.
P.S. He takes great photographs of nature – mostly birds. He has some amazing close ups and action shots.
P.S.S. Walter Kitundu & Robin Sukhadia are performing at the Sangati Center on Nov. 22, 2008
I had the opportunity to interview Batista for Carnaval this past May. I checked out his performance. He put on a good show and was comfortable onstage. I didn’t find much information online but found enough information on him and it turned out to be an interesting interview covering some of my favorite topics. We sound a little disoriented (at least I was feeling it) because we were right behind the stage where Frankely’s set had just started. You can listen to the performance and interview here. The performance starts at around 61to 62 minutes into the special broadcast and the interview starts at around 78 minutes.
To listen to the archive click here
1. Janelle Monae – Mr. President – Metropolis – Bad Boy / Wondaland – Y
2. Manu Chao – Politik Kills – Radiolina – Nacional Records – Y
3. Aima & Emancipacion – What’s My Name – Demo
4. The Pinker Tones – Electrotumbao – Wild Animals – Nacional Records – Y
5. Zuco 103 – Nunca Mais – After The Carnaval – Six Degrees Records – Y
6. Hercules & Love Affair – Blind – Hercules & Love Affair – Mute – Y
7. Bostich + Fussible – The Clap – Tijuana Sound Machine – Nacional Records – Y
8. Vieux Farka Toure – Ma Hine Cocore (Yossi Fine’s 3rd Bass Remix) – Remixed: UFOs Over Bamako – Modiba Production – Y
9. Australian Bebop Ragas – Bollywood Fantasia – Snakes & Ladders – Trance Mission Music – Y
10. Radio Citizen – Mondlicht – Berlin Serengeti – Ubiquity Recordings – Y
11. Nouvelle Vague – Heart of Glass – Bande A Part – Luaka Bop – Y
12. Freddie Cruger aka Red Astaire – Pretty Little Thing f. Linn – Soul Search – Ubiquity Recordings – Y
13. Ursula 1000 – Step Back (Deekline & Ed Solo Remix) – Undressed…Remixed – Y
14. Kush Arora – Everyday f. Juakali – From Brooklyn to SF – Kush Arora Productions -Y
15. Flying Lotus – Sexslaveship – Los Angeles – Warp Records – Y
16. Beanfield – Tides (Carl Craig Sessions Remix) – Carl Craig’s Sessions – !K7 – Y
17. Carmen Rizzo – All is Forgiven f. Kate Kavnevik – Ornament of an Imposter – Electrofone Music – Y
18. The Real Tuesday Weld – Bringing the Body Back Home f. Cibelle – Traveler 08 – Six Degrees Records – Y
19. Haale – This High – Paratrooper – Haale / Darya Records -N
20. Supreme Beings of Leisure – Angelhead f. Lili Hayden – Ryko – Y
21. Sidestepper – Deja (Richard Blair Remix) – Buena Vibra Sound System – Palm Pictures – Y
22. Zap Mama – Supermoon – Supermoon – Heads Up – N
23. Janelle Monae – Sincerely, Jane – Metropolis – Bad Boy / Wondaland – Y